The Chennai Photo Biennale invites performers, artists and other creative practitioners, interested in interrogating study, to a performance shadow casting workshop with artist and educator Sanchayan Ghosh.
A workshop on study as a dialogic and reciprocal process of collective reflection/performance by Sanchayan Ghosh
The ‘Presence as Absence’ workshop is part of a long-term set of engagements by Ghosh, who has been investigating the role of study within contemporary practice and pedagogy. Emerging from the proposition that study can be “a process of critical engagement and working together” the workshop will foreground dialogical and reciprocal engagements between the workshop participants, with each bringing their own personal histories, experiences and memories, to set the context for study. The workshop will focus on two aspects of study – the representation of the body and the use of light.
Part 1 of the workshop will include theatre exercises that will let individual participants explore their cultural and social memory in reference to sound, body and gesture.
Part 2 of the workshop will work with light using the method of shadow casting on silkscreens, which engages with the relationship between urban light, photosensitive pigment, time and space.
This project by Sanchayan Ghosh has been invited by the CPB3 curatorial team as part of the upcoming biennale “Maps of Disquiet”.
- When – Monday, 18 October 2021 – Sunday, 24 October 2021
- Workshop Part `1 – 10 AM – 5 PM, 18 – 20 October 2021
- Workshop Part `2 – 11 AM – 8 PM , 21 – 24 October 2021
- Venue – Goethe-Institut Chennai (Final details to be confirmed)
- Registrations – To apply to participate in this workshop we invite you to share your CV along with a Statement of Interest (max.200 words) on why you want to participate in this workshop. Application Form here
- Deadline to apply – 5 October 2021. Since this workshop can only be developed with a small group there are a limited number of seats available.
- Any multidisciplinary artist across India interested in exploring body and form can apply.
- The workshop is free and open for everyone above 18 years of age by application only. There will be no fee for participation.
- You will need to present in Chennai on the workshop dates if you are selected. Accommodation, travel and food expenses to be managed by self.
- Those selected will need to attend all 7 days of the workshop compulsorily.
Please feel free to write to us if you have any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org
Important note: All materials for the workshop will be provided by the organisers. Participants will be required to follow masking mandates at the venue during the period of the workshop.