A performance series at the Goethe-Institut / Max Mueller Bhavan, New Delhi Application Deadline: Sunday, 20 September 2020
Refunction is a performance series by Goethe-Institut / Max Mueller Bhavan New Delhi inspired by one of the core principles of Bertolt Brecht’s theatre – Umfunktionierung (refunctioning), in which the composition of a new work is in the movement and tension between material, technique and function.
In response to the challenges to performance-making in this present time, we have reimagined Refunction 2020-21 to support work that actively and imaginatively engages with the question of what it is to produce and present dramatic work digitally. The programme continues to encourage performers and theatre makers to imagine projects that will explore the movement and tension between material, technique, and function.
What is the space in between performance, film, radio, and new digital mediums? How can we reimagine the rituals of the theatre and contemporary dance for the digital medium; will there be new rituals? What is the relationship between the performer and the remote audience? What are the means of making collectively and collaboratively across distance?
Application Guidelines and Criteria:
- The project may be in either Hindi or English
- Applications are open to practitioners of theatre and contemporary dance
- The final work can be recorded and does not necessarily have to be performed or shared with a live audience
- The length of the piece must be at least 20 minutes
- The work cannot be a film or audio recording of an existing performance by the individual or group
- We encourage applicants to think beyond live video chat and conferencing mediums such as Zoom, Google Meet, MS Team etc.
- We encourage projects that are multidisciplinary and that use documentary video, photography, visual and sound art as part of their imagination and design.
- The work must be realised by April 2021.
The deadline for applications is 20th September 2020.Three projects will be selected by an independent jury. Goethe-Institut / Max Mueller Bhavan will offer the selected projects:
- A grant of INR 75000 towards the realisation of the project.
- Hosting of the final project on the website of the Goethe-Institut / Max Mueller Bhavan alongside any other platforms that the artist chooses
Note: all application material must be submitted in a single PDF file
- Bio of the artist/group and chief collaborators
- Script or detailed treatment
- Director’s/Choreographer’s note on the conceptual framework of the piece, thematic questions, and concerns etc.
- A note on the questions and propositions on how you plan to work with digital technology to present the project the project
- Details about the proposed team of collaborators (writers, directors, designers and actors/dancers)
- A broad time-frame for the project.
Along with the above-mentioned notes, please submit the following information:
Title of project:
Name of Director(s):
Email the completed application to: email@example.com