We would like to extend to you our invitation from Unity Pavilion to participate in the ‘Art for Land’ Exhibition, now to be in its third edition. This will be organized as part of Auroville’s 50th Anniversary celebrations. We plan to hold the Art for Land Exhibition in the Unity Pavilion from 1st of January till the 15th of February 2018.
It was wonderful to see the large and varied participation in the first and second editions of Art for Land held in 2016 and 2017 respectively. In 2017 more than 70 artists from Auroville and Ashram, besides several from other parts of India and Auroville International abroad, participated in creating an exhibition of high quality. The exhibition was much appreciated both by Aurovilians and visitors. The show of goodwill was amazing.
We are now ready to dive into the beautiful experience of the third edition and especially so as it coincides with the celebration of Auroville’s 50th Anniversary.
We invite you to become part of this collaboration – as a member of our large family around Mother and Sri Aurobindo – and join hands for this committed work of acquiring the missing land in the Master Plan of Auroville, the material foundation of “the City the Earth Needs”.
Based on our experience in the previous years we wish to bring to your kind attention a few points:
- As we have a very varied audience and the Aurovilians themselves mostly do not have a big budget, it would be nice to have artworks in different price ranges: for example below Rs10,000; Rs10,000 to 20,000 and above Rs20,000.
- We have observed that visitors donated quite spontaneously towards the limited edition art prints that some artists had contributed. If you have works that are suited for printing, we would very much appreciate if you would allow us to do selective printing of a limited number of copies. The prices last year for such prints varied between Rs 500 and Rs 5000. We had both signed and unsigned prints. The prints are also easy to pack and carry, can also be sold through the website and posted, and people who might not buy a painting are happy to carry with them some souvenir of Art for Land.
- It would be great if you could specifically for the 50th Anniversary Celebration of Auroville.
- We endeavour to have enough frames to hang the exhibition beautifully, but in case you want to offer the art already framed, please do take a good photograph of the work before framing. Due to the reflection from the glass it is otherwise almost impossible to take descent photos for the website presentation.
- Art works need to be delivered to Unity Pavilion between November 15 and December 1, 2017
- The following information must accompany the paintings:
- Name and bio data of the artist and a small introduction about his/her artistic career/inspiration for creation
- Size of the painting.
- Medium used
- Title of the Art work
- Year of creation if available
- Value/selling price of the artwork so that we can fix the minimum donation for which the artwork can be offered
- Anything the artist would like to share about the specific work is also welcome
We look forward to hearing from you the latest by August 31, 2017. This will enable us to have an overview of the space needed for the exhibition and organize the event and the website and give adequate publicity.
Looking forward to your collaboration and participation,
The Art for Land Team,
Devasmita for Unity Pavilion, Mandakini LB for Art for Land and Renu for Auroville Art Service