Emergence Magazine brings you this week:
- Four Films from the Emergence archives
- International Online Premiere by Emergence of the new feature documentary film Apausalypse, directed by Anni Ólafsdóttir and Andri Snær Magnason.
- Utuqaq by Iva Radivojević is an extended meditation on the sentience of the land, told from the perspective of the deep and boundless silence of Arctic ice. Watch Film
- Border Nation by Jason Jaacks follows Tohono O’odham woman Ofelia Rivas as she journeys across the US-Mexico border seeking to revitalize her ancestral village. Watch Film
- On the Road with Thomas Merton by Jeremy Seifert retraces the Christian mystic’s pilgrimage to the American West in 1968. Watch Film
- Blessings by Andrew Hinton, Owen Ó Súilleabháin, and David Whyte offers an interpretation of David Whyte’s “Blessing” poems through a visual journey across the Irish landscape. Watch Film
|Apausalypse – International Online Premiere|
Thursday, September 9th, 12–1:30pm (Pacific)
Directed by Anni Ólafsdóttir and Andri Snær Magnason.
Set in an unprecedented moment of global stillness, Apausalypse follows artists and thinkers in Iceland as they interpret a world gripped by the pandemic. Through dance, poetry, music, and visual art, they reflect on the possibilities for transformation that are held within this great pause.
This film premieres as increased access to the vaccine and fatigue from eighteen months of isolation are greatly accelerating efforts to a “return to normal.” As we see a dancer performing on a vacant airport tarmac, a poet reading to an empty theater, and a cellist playing alone in his living room—we feel the pain of isolation and the presence of fear, but a question also lingers: should we return to the way things were?
After the screening, Anni and Andri will join us for a conversation with Emergence Executive Editor Emmanuel Vaughan-Lee and a Q&A with the audience.