Gender Bender is the first festival of its kind in India that showcases new works of art around gender, as concept, discourse, construct, and as art itself, creating a space for gender with artists and audiences alike.The festival aims to contribute to the ever-evolving understanding of gender and its implications, to help produce works that re-examine and re-imagine the concept.
Gender Bender 2021 invites applications from artists and individuals working at the intersection of art and technology.
Faced with the challenges in the past year and a half, a shaky present and an uncertain future, the only thing we are certain of at this point is that we must continue the work however and whenever possible. These difficult times have only taught us how much more we must persevere to further the gender discourse in the hope of contributing to a better understanding of gender and art.
Gender Bender 2021 is envisioned as a digitalmanifestation of the physical festival – an interactive online space for audiences to engage with. Keeping this in mind, this year, only applications for ideas that can be realised in the digital space will be considered.
The Gender Bender grant (Rs. 25,000 – Rs. 75,000) is awarded to individuals/groups who are selected by an independent jury of eminent artists and scholars from across India.
© Sandbox Collective
Deadline for applications: October 10, 2021
Final selection: October 30, 2021
Festival: December 10 – 12, 2021
Who can apply: (Former grantees are not eligible)
* Digital and multimedia artists, animators, coders and gamers
* Solo artists or a group of artists or artists and tech collaborators
* Artists working at the intersection of art and technology
* Individuals working in the field of technology looking to apply their skills in an arts space
* AR / VR designers
What the application should include:
* A vision for the project
* A critical approach to the theme, and questions of gender
* Works that are interactive, engage the audience and ask questions
* A clear understanding of how to navigate and effectively make use of the online space
* A budget for all overheads + a note on how the trigger grant will help realise a part of or the whole project
How to apply:
* Fill in the application form: https://forms.gle/mg8nA9Db1fgYJDAA7
* Applications may be submitted in any Indian language (including English).
* Applications must include a proposal detailing the project idea, as well as a budget.
Address any queries to: email@example.com.
Gender Bender is a joint project of the Goethe-Institut / Max Mueller Bhavan and Sandbox Collective and is conceived, conceptualised, and curated by Sandbox Collective.