During these hard times of the pandemic, we have all faced extreme hardship and suffering. The most hit among these have been the villages and the artisans working on wages. Due to the lock down and the collapse of the local economy we have seen a large number of small businesses shut doors and lose their livelihoods. As the Pandemic has taught us how to work around the difficulties and still persevere, we see that it is still difficult for our local craftsmen to get back on their feet.
Due to this very reason we at Mohanam have been working on the project called AuroSanthai, a regular weekend market for over 4 months now. We wish to be the platform for these artisans and vendors to relaunch their lives and restart the local economy. We being an Auroville Unit wish to be the bridge between Auroville and the bioregion (neighbouring villages) where a mutual exchange of skills and resources shall benefit all the people involved. We would also like to be the centre that connects Pondicherry city to Auroville. By opening our doors to the village and the city we wish to make a booming exchange of culture, traditions, skill and resources.
We wish to launch this initiative on the 27th and 28th of February 2021 (10am to 8pm) which falls on the weekend i.e., Saturday and Sunday. And invite you for two days full of fun and entertainment, while showing solidarity and support to our local economy. Come and attend workshops, Talks and other special activities that Mohanam has experience in conducting and organising for years.
These are the main Attractions at AuroSanthai launch.
– Auroville and local Village Arts & Craft stalls (with the farmers market)
– Pondicherry Artisans Stalls with Pondicherry Tourism Department.
– Traditional and modern Food Fusion stalls.
– Cycle Tour of Auroville North side organised by Mohanam Youth.
– Special Exhibitions on village heritage and Archaeological history of the region.
– Storytellers Tree (Open mics and Special talks by old souls and Inspiring Individuals under the shade of a nurturing tree)
– Sound Healing & Therapy sessions.
– Live Music, Art & Dance Performances all day.
– Hands-on Workshops.
– Art Corner, interactive Games and other activities.
– Special Evening Performances including OORALI and KALAI ARUVI school of music and dance.
We at Mohanam look forward to hosting you.