India Foundation of Arts
Request for Proposals
Arts Research Programme
Application Deadline: June 15, 2017
The Arts Research programme supports scholars, researchers, and practitioners to undertake research into the various histories and expressions of artistic practices in India. It seeks to foster wider perspectives, understandings, interpretations and engagements in the arts.
We are inviting proposals for our Arts Research programme from researchers and practitioners who are interested in undertaking research projects that investigate marginalised or relatively unexplored areas; intend to create spaces for dialogue between theory and practice; offer new readings/frameworks of artistic practices; and use interdisciplinary approaches to break new conceptual ground, among other things.
IFA specifically encourages projects in Indian languages other than English, so as to contribute to discourse in particular language contexts.
Research projects should have clear research objectives, in-depth background survey, critical research questions, rigorous methodologies and specific outcomes that will be shared in the public domain. The outcomes could be books, essays, films, etc.
Programme Executive Tanveer Ajsi talk about the Arts Research programme
and how to apply in this video below.
Who can apply?
The programme is open to proposals from scholars, researchers and practitioners across disciplines.
You are eligible to apply if you are an Indian national, a registered non-profit Indian organisation, or have been resident in India for at least five years.
If you are applying on behalf of an institution, please include background information on the organisation as well as the memorandum of association/trust deed, annual reports, and audited statements of accounts for the past three years.
(For more on the eligibility criteria please click here)
You may choose to write your proposal in any Indian language including English. IFA staff would be glad to answer your questions regarding this programme. You can approach us to discuss your ideas for our suggestions and comments, before sending in the final proposal.
Your proposal will be assessed with the help of external evaluators and all decisions on grants made by IFA will be final.
Please include the following in your proposal:
- The content of the proposal should have clear research objectives, in-depth background survey, critical research questions, rigorous methodologies and specific outcomes;
- Supporting material, if any, which gives us a sense of your work;
- Your bio-data;
- A detailed budget breakdown that explains how funds will be used. Please also mention funds anticipated from other sources, if any; and
- Your address, telephone numbers, and e-mail address
Duration of the Project
Your project may have a minimum duration of one year and a maximum duration of one year and six months.
You can request for support up to Rs 4 lakh.
You may budget for an honorarium of Rs 12,000/- per month subject to a maximum limit of Rs 1,44,000/- for the entire duration of the grant. Please note that the total grant amount is inclusive of the honorarium.
You can send us your proposal for our suggestions and comments by email. However, please note that your final proposal, including your bio-data and supporting material, should reach us in hard copy before or on June 15, 2017.
No supporting material will be sent back to the applicant.
- Our funds will cover only project-related personnel costs, activities and travel, and can provide for modest equipment hire and materials, if necessary. Please ensure that each budget category pertains to a specific item of project-related expenditure
- If you are an individual, please budget for an accountant upto Rs 3000/- only
- Please do not budget for institutional overheads, building costs and infrastructural development. We do not support buying of equipment either, but if you must buy equipment for the project, you must return it to IFA after the project is completed
- If your proposal is short-listed, you may be requested to respond to questions that arise out of the evaluation process
- The selected grants will be announced in October, 2017
Please address your application and all other communications to:
India Foundation for the Arts,
‘Apurva’, Ground floor, No 259, 4th Cross,
Raj Mahal Vilas, IInd Stage, IInd Block,
Bengaluru 560 094
Tel: +91 80 23414681/82
Translations of this circular are available in other Indian languages on request and can be downloaded from www.indiaifa.org
The Arts Research Programme for the years 2017 to 2019 is supported by Titan Company Lim