Values of the Global Art Grant Program
- Cultural Experience: The Mission of Burning Man Project is to facilitate and extend the culture that has issued from the Burning Man event into the larger world. The Burning Man Global Art Grants fund projects that are aligned in the spirit of the Burning Man culture without the expectation that submissions will be coming from those who’ve attended the event or participated in other regional events. The value the potential for the human spirit to flourish through creativity and work to support projects that reflect participatory cultural opportunities for communities worldwide.
- Impact: Installing interactive, community-driven art in places where the community might not otherwise be exposed to the benefits of connecting people through art.
- Risk taking: Allowing failure to be part of the process, knowing the value these experiences have in building more robust artists.
- Skill Building: Teaching and encouraging others to learn about creating art, building community, and engaging with civic entities. They encourage both the artist(s) and participants to learn together.
- Creation of highly interactive, community-driven art
- Art that can be experienced in public spaces, where everyone has access to view and participate with the art free of charge
- Art that can be touched, heard and/or experienced
- Projects that allow participants to engage with the conception, creation and presentation of art
- Taking risks and providing seed funding that stimulates new explorations and fosters new artists
- Validation and support for artists that are at the experimental point of their own development
- Art created by the community for the benefit of that community
- Individual artists.
- Art groups, organizations and collectives (they do NOT require groups to have nonprofit 501(c)3 status).
- Artists located anywhere on the globe; there are no geographic restrictions placed on those who can apply.
- While they do welcome projects from established artists, their focus is to encourage, support and take risks on new and emerging artists.
- Anyone who’s previously applied for or received any type of Burning Man (or BRAF) grant, they encourage them to apply again.
- They fund art projects that are proposed by people, creatives, artists, designers, community members who align with the Burning Man ethos and 10.
- Principles based cultural standards. Grantees may or may not have been to a Burning Man event, nor is it a requirement to receive a Global Art Grant.